For the dice tower, I used “4mm” plywood, but it actually came to 3.4mm. You’ll need to adjust the tab “depth” based on your own material.
For the dice vault, I recommend no less than 10mm thick material for the lid and 25mm thick material for the base.
I also used four 7mm x 1mm rare earth magnets to hold the lid in place.
You can grab the Autodesk Fusion 360 files from the ‘digital files’ tab, or you can view them online at
Dice Tower v1
Dice Tower v2
These links may let you grab a file that imports better into your tool of choice.
Even though the dice tower could have easily been cut in Easel, the design part of it in 2D space just messed with my head. Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists, so its my CAD/CAM tool of choice.
Since I used Fusion 360 to generate my GCode, I needed to send that using Universal G Code sender.
For the dice tower, a 1/8" bit will be able to cut everything out.
For the dice vault, a 1/8" bit (or possibly even a 1/4"!) is great for the pockets and general shape of the base. For the lid, cut the “top”/outside first using a 1/16" or smaller for the details. You really don’t need to go more than 1mm (0.5mm or even 0.25mm would be fine) deep, so it doesn’t take too long. Switch to a 1/8" or larger bit to cut the lid out, flip it, and cut the underside pocket out.
This really depends on how fancy you want to get. I like ‘simple’ projects like this to play with new techniques so I went with imitation gold leaf and tried my hand at gilding the logo. Alternatively, some paint or burning the lid with a torch and sanding it back would look pretty neat too.
If you opt to go for gilding you’ll need
The process is
The dice tower can just be slotted together – its a friction fit so you can assemble it and take it down as many times as you like. You could use a dab of just about any type of glue to permanently hold it in place – I used cyanoacrylate (CA, aka super glue) as it bonds instantly and is strong enough, but PVA/wood glue would work just fine – remember, a little bit goes a long way.
For the dice vault there isn’t much assembly needed, a dab of epoxy or CA on the magnets and they get placed in the holes. Make sure you line up the polarity so the magnets attract each other in ‘pairs’ rather than repelling. I used a Sharpie to mark the ‘outside’ of a pair of magnets – that is, the side that gets glued in.